Prior to a Hurricane
- Prepare a Ready Kit (list attached)
- Develop a Family Communication Plan - Your family may not be together when disaster strikes. Make a plan today. Know how you’ll contact one another and reconnect if separated.
- Write down all important numbers in case you lose power (i.e numbers your teachers, utilities, FEMA, etc.)
- Develop and evacuation plan by identifying several places you can go in an emergency. Familiarize yourself with Georgia’s evacuation routes, especially if you live in a coastal area.
- Be familiar with alternate routes
- If you have a car: Keep a full tank of gas and prepare a portable ready kit.
During and Evacuation
- A list of open shelters can be found on GEMHSA’s website or on the Ready Georgia app.
- Information on Georgia evacuation routes may be found at Georgia Navigator.
- Listen to a battery-powered radio and follow local evacuation instructions.
- Take your emergency supply kit.
- Leave early enough to avoid being trapped by severe weather.
- Take your pets with you, but understand that only service animals may be permitted in public shelters. Plan how you will care for your pets in an emergency.
- If time allows:
- Call or email the out-of-state contact in your family communications plan. Tell them where you are going.
- Secure your home by closing and locking doors and windows.
- Unplug electrical equipment such as radios, televisions and small appliances. Leave freezers and refrigerators plugged in unless there is a risk of flooding. If there is damage to your home and you are instructed to do so, shut off water, gas and electricity before leaving.
- Leave a note telling others when you left and where you are going.
- Wear sturdy shoes and clothing that provides some protection such as long pants, long-sleeved shirts and a cap.
- Check with neighbors who may need a ride.
- Follow recommended evacuation routes. Do not take shortcuts; they may be blocked.
- Be alert for road hazards such as washed-out roads or bridges and downed power lines. Do not drive into flooded areas.
The GCA Family Resource Team would like you to know that it is our sincerely hope your family stays safe during this time. If we could be of any assistance, please let us know.
GCA’s Family Resource Team
Barbara Stevens – ES Family Resource Coordinator – 404-334-4790 ext. 971
Mayya Bryan – MS Family Resource Coordinator – 678 416 0826
Simone White – HS Family Resource Coordinator – 678-850-1995